Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Goodbye Layla



This morning, Baby Layla Grace passed away.

No I didn't know her. No, I wasn't a friend of the family. I knew of her through a friend of a friend. they went to high school together.

Her death, though expected still hit me fast and hard like a bullet to my heart. I cannot even fathom losing one of my children. I cannot imagine watching them suffer though months of treatment, not knowing if our efforts were working. I cannot imagine being sent home from a hospital with no solution and no treatment option. Sent home to care for my child while she dies.

NO NO NO.

I know God has a plan for everyone and everything and I believe that with all of my soul. He had a big job for her during her two short years on earth.... Layla's story reached out to millions. She brought people closer to faith and God, and closer to their children. She taught people to recognize even the smallest blessings in their lives. She did more in her two years that some people do in a lifetime.

Tonight, I had a fussy baby. She didn't want to go to sleep. She just wanted to be rocked. I have hundreds of photos to edit, dirty dishes in the sink, laundry that needs to be folded, a garage that needs to be cleaned, carpets that need to be vacuumed and floors that need to be mopped. I could have easily hurried through bedtime. This time, I didn't. And from this point forward I won't. I sat there and rocked my baby and cried. I cried out of happiness that God has blessed me with a healthy baby. That he gave us the chance to keep Kayelyn in our lives after a very rough start. I cried tears of happiness over Briley. She is growing so fast- she is so smart and so beautiful.... I cried for Layla's family and the grief they are going through. I cried because I cannot believe such a beautiful little girl fell victim to such an atrocious disease. I kept praying for a miracle for Layla, I know they happen. God had other plans. Now Layla is playing with the angels. She is disease free, whole again, and happy. I ask that if you're reading this, please pray for her family. They need all they help they can get.

1 comment:

  1. This is such a beautiful post. I too was hit hard when I read it yesterday; the kids were asking me what was wrong as I sobbed like a baby at my desk. It is good to know that she is home now, and that her Father and creator God are showing her around His magnificent palace that belongs to her! Imagine the wonder and delight! I will never forget sweet Layla.

    ReplyDelete